Saturday 25 April 2009

Female power

There are lots of holes in our new house. Useful holes, with screws in them, on which you can hang pictures and shelves. The problem is that the existing holes do not match the places where I want my pictures and shelves. I can take away the screws and plaster over the holes. But I also need to make new holes, and my faithful little drill that I brought from the old country can't cope with masonry, as I discovered at Water Street. It feels a bit silly to buy a large drill just to make a few holes, but there is no other way. I don't know anyone here who owns a drill and will be willing to lend it out. (Maybe I underestimate my colleagues at the Faculty).

An electric chargeable drill is a Power Tool, says the manual. I am sure it is a normal way of saying it, but to my foreign ear it sounds - powerful. The manual explains how to take care of your Power Tool. How to care for your Power Tool. I feel powerful when I drill my first hole. I feel powerful when I drill my second hole. The drill is my magic wand, my magic sword. After this, I can do anything.

And yes, I know the psychoanalytical term for it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are my hero! Lydia

Ulla PE said...

När vi renoverade köket, för tre år sedan, blev skrivdragaren också min nye vän! HAde aldrig tidigare haft anledning att hantera en sådan KRAFTFULL apparat... ;-)

Ulla PE said...

SKRUVDRAGAREN skulle det ju vara

Danielle said...

I absolutely love it! I know how you feel I love my power drill.
ps. I hope you are doing well.
Puss Puss,
Danielle M. Hargis