Tuesday 19 May 2020

Re-reading Catch 22




I had no memory of this novel at all, although I know I read it all those years and years ago. Of course I know what “catch 22” means, and I had some vague memories of pilots having to fly more and more missions, but I am not sure whether I remembered it from the book or from the film. I know for sure that I remembered the most gory detail from the film and was waiting for it to turn up in the book. It did, at the very end. I don't know whether the knowledge spoiled my reading experience.

I am confident that I didn't understand anything of the novel when I read it fifty years ago, and as with most books on my re-reading list, I wonder how much I bluffed then. The plot is non-existent, and at that time plot was more important than anything else. The book is exceptionally repetitive, and an inexperienced reader – as I was then – would certainly get bored, unaware that repetition is the most prominent and of course deliberate narrative device. It is used in conjunction with another powerful device: omission, or paralipsis, to use a fancy word. The same episode is told over and over again, each time slightly differently and each time omitting the most significant detail that would explain everything that is going on. How clever! It also employs an intricate temporality as events follow upon each other randomly, as deviations, by association, connected solely by a reminiscence, or even without any tangible connection at all. Each chapter seemingly focuses on a secondary or sometimes completely peripheral character, and only in hindsight do we understand why the story had to be told at all. If I were still an active academic I would write an article on this novel and include it in my courses. Not as a war novel, but as an example of exquisite storytelling.

However, the greatest surprise to me was that the novel is so wonderfully hilarious. Of course I remembered, more from criticism than from actual reading, that it was a satire on war. Yet a satire is not necessarily funny, and the novel is. I don't often laugh outloud when I read, but I did. Pity nobody was listening except my cats. I would almost claim that Catch 22 is the twentieth-century reply to Alice in Wonderland with its twisted logic and magnificent wordplay. Maybe this is the only possible way to write about the horrors of war.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is my ultimate favourite novel. I chose to write about this for my A level dissertation. The banality of war is fantastically demonstrated in this amazing novel. I think it was one of the first novels which made me cry deeply. I pick up second hand copies with different covers everywhere I go. I anticipate having 22 different copies one day on my bookshelf. Have you read, 'A Case of the Exploding Mangoes'? The novel uses a similar device as Heller but within a Pakistani setting. Am so glad to hear you enjoyed 'Catch-22' so much. Zahra

LINDA PATRICIA said...



I AM MRS. LINDA AND I WANT To TESTIFY ABOUT HOW DR AKHERE HELPED ME IN GETTING BACK MY EX HUSBAND WHO LEFT ME AND MY KIDS FOR ANOTHER WOMAN AND TODAY I AM VERY FULFILLED BECAUSE MY HUSBAND Is BACK To ME AFTER I CONTACTED DR AKHERE TO HELP ME , I'm very happy now with my family it worked for me and I believe it will work for you too just give him a try and follow up this is a clear truth from a testifier. Thank you Dr AKHERE once again, if you want to reach him via email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call / whatsapp: +2349057261346



































I AM MRS. LINDA AND I WANT To TESTIFY ABOUT HOW DR AKHERE HELPED ME IN GETTING BACK MY EX HUSBAND WHO LEFT ME AND MY KIDS FOR ANOTHER WOMAN AND TODAY I AM VERY FULFILLED BECAUSE MY HUSBAND Is BACK To ME AFTER I CONTACTED DR AKHERE TO HELP ME , I'm very happy now with my family it worked for me and I believe it will work for you too just give him a try and follow up this is a clear truth from a testifier. Thank you Dr AKHERE once again, if you want to reach him via email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call / whatsapp: +2349057261346





















































































I AM MRS. LINDA AND I WANT To TESTIFY ABOUT HOW DR AKHERE HELPED ME IN GETTING BACK MY EX HUSBAND WHO LEFT ME AND MY KIDS FOR ANOTHER WOMAN AND TODAY I AM VERY FULFILLED BECAUSE MY HUSBAND Is BACK To ME AFTER I CONTACTED DR AKHERE TO HELP ME , I'm very happy now with my family it worked for me and I believe it will work for you too just give him a try and follow up this is a clear truth from a testifier. Thank you Dr AKHERE once again, if you want to reach him via email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call / whatsapp: +2349057261346



































I AM MRS. LINDA AND I WANT To TESTIFY ABOUT HOW DR AKHERE HELPED ME IN GETTING BACK MY EX HUSBAND WHO LEFT ME AND MY KIDS FOR ANOTHER WOMAN AND TODAY I AM VERY FULFILLED BECAUSE MY HUSBAND Is BACK To ME AFTER I CONTACTED DR AKHERE TO HELP ME , I'm very happy now with my family it worked for me and I believe it will work for you too just give him a try and follow up this is a clear truth from a testifier. Thank you Dr AKHERE once again, if you want to reach him via email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call / whatsapp: +2349057261346

Eric brunt said...

Naghahanap ako ng tulong sa internet upang maibalik ang aking dating asawa pagkatapos na hiwalayan niya ako 5 buwan na ang nakakaraan, napansin ko ang napakaraming mga patotoo mula sa iba't ibang mga tao at lahat sila ay nagsasalita tungkol sa kamangha-manghang taong ito na tinawag na Doctor AKHERE kung paano niya sila tinulungan upang makatipid ang kanilang kasal at mga relasyon at nakipag-ugnay din ako sa kanya sa kanyang email (AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com) at ipinaliwanag sa kanya ang aking problema at gumawa siya ng isang magandang trabaho sa pamamagitan ng pagtulong sa akin na maibalik ang aking diborsyo na asawa sa loob ng 48 na oras .. Hindi ako naniniwala na ganoon ang mga bagay na tulad nito ay maaaring posible ngunit ngayon ako ay isang buhay na patotoo dito sapagkat talagang binalik ng Doctor AKHERE ang aking kasintahan, Kung mayroon kang anumang mga problema sa relasyon bakit hindi makipag-ugnay sa Doctor AKHERE para sa tulong sa pamamagitan ng email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com o tumawag / whatsapp : +2349057261346
Pagkatapos ipinapangako ko sa iyo na pagkatapos ng 48 na oras magkakaroon ka ng mga dahilan upang ipagdiwang tulad ko