Sunday 8 November 2009

Really useful

I have eventually set up another bookshelf in my room (aka guest room). Too long to explain why it took so long. But now it's there, and I went to Staples to get some boxes to store my doll house materials. I planned initially to arrange working space in the garage. I have realised it might get a bit chilly in winter; the light is not very good, too many other things - it's nice to feel comfy when you play with miniatures. True, there is some dirty work, but it's not what you do often, so garage will be ok for occasional staining or mitre sawing.

Anyway, I went to Staples. I have always loved office supplies stores, even when I was a child in Moscow and there wasn't much to buy. The smell of new notebooks, the feel of new pencils, the softness of new erasers. But not until I discovered Staples in San Diego did I realise how much you can indulge in binders, pencil holders and thumbnails. I can spend hours in Staples, and I could spend fortunes there if I didn't already have too much of everything. But now I really need boxes for my hobby things. What a marvelous excuse! Staples has a line called Really Useful Boxes. They come in all shapes and sizes and colours, and I see already that I will need twice as many as I have bought. Three ot four with small compartments, for all my tiny, tiny things. One large and shallow for paper. Some large and deep, for fabric and wood. Some medium, for plastic, metal, leather, paint... Yes, I know I am crazy. But once you start getting all your stuff neat and sorted, all ugly shoe boxes and plastic cans become conspicuous. The Really Useful Boxes look so nice in the new bookshelf, and it's easy to see what's inside and to find exactly what I might need, like a champagne cork or a metal button or a broken chess piece. Sometimes it's easy to make oneself happy.

When I was packing my stuff in Staples, a very young man at the till announced in the loudspeaker: "Ladies and gentlemen, we will now join the rest of the country in two silent minutes". It's Armistice Day.

3 comments:

Tata said...

Маша, а помнишь маленький магазинчик на улице Герцена, напротив Кинотеатра Повторного Фильма.. Мы с Анютой Серпинской туда бегали "подышать" И когда появились тетрадки с таблицей умножения на обложке, такие синие синие в клеточку с глянцевой бумагой, какое это было счастье...

Cornelia said...

The Really Useful Boxes are marvellous! I have several stacked on top of my bookshelf, one filles with paper in different colours, one containing the offprints of the articles I have published up to now, and one with the newspapers and magazines published on my nephew's birthday (supposed to be his birthday present when he fills 18). Staples really is a huge temptation ...

Maria Nikolajeva said...

Tanya: yes, of course I remember, I was always saving to buy a new notebook or pencil sharpener.