Sunday 27 September 2009

Eastbound

I have already stated that from England all destinations have suddenly come closer. All except eastward. It takes 35 minutes to fly from Stockholm to Åbo, the university city in Finland where I still have an academic affiliation. It took me almost a whole day to get there from Cambridge. True, I had three hours overlay in Helsinki, which felt ludicrous waiting for a 25-minute flight. But any other option, via Stockholm or Copenhagen, would have been the same. At least I don't know the Helsinki airport inside out. It is, however, more or less like any airport. After I have explored the shops and eateries, there is not much to do. Then it's just a matter of finding a place to sit and enjoy the thickest book I could find in DWSmith at Heathrow.

I was tempted to buy a Moomin calendar, resisted the temptation and now regret it. Fortunately, I have two hours overlay on the way back.

No comments: