Friday 10 December 2010

Blog challnge Day 29 – Your aspirations


The older you get, the more you realise that there is a limit to what you can do with the rest of your life. When I was little I was sure that I would go to the Moon, Mars, Saturn and beyond. When I was young I hoped to go to London and Paris. I wanted to be a famous writer. I haven't become a famous writer, but I am quite a good scholar. I have tried scuba diving and found out that I couldn't do it. But if I hadn't tried I wouldn't have known. I have tried paragliding and was terribly sick. But I still remember the few wonderful moments before I got sick.

I know that I will never go to Antarctic, although I would like to, nor explore the Amazonas, nor climb mountains. But I have seen 13% of the world (according to Facebook) which is more than most other people.

I will not learn to play an instrument nor become an extreme skier. I am quite happy enjoying music played by others, and I go skiing for pleasure, not for challenge.

I will not die young because it's too late. I will not receive a Nobel Prize because I chose the wrong subject. I will probably not be invited to a Royal Dinner because we no longer live in Sweden (otherwise, chances were good). I will not make the front page of Newsweek, and I am glad for that.

I hope to write another book. Or maybe two. I hope to see my children's succeed. I hope to see my grandchildren grow up and become something they want to be. I hope to see more of my students make brilliant careers – some of them have. I hope to be remembered for what I have done.

No comments: