Thursday 25 November 2010

Blog challenge Day 14 : What you wore today

I don't know whether the repetition of this subject is intentional, but surely it makes a difference since last time it was on the weekend, and today is a working day. My working uniform is, most days, black pants, a top or shirt, jacket and a scarf. Highly unimaginative academic clothes. I like pants because I can wear sensible shoes and do not have to think about tights, which I am always anxious will get a ladder in a most conspicuous place. So it's much safer with pants. Black pants go with almost anything, and I have a variety of jackets, but I don't have to think about wearing different clothes every day. This was a pain in my old-old country, where you had to invent something new each time you went to work, which in my case was no more than twice a week, but even with a huge wardrobe you soon ran out of options. That's why it was so popular to trade clothes with your friends.

My current solution is wearing the same clothes and taking the risk of being extremely boring for the students. I am sure they say after the class: “Did you notice? She is wearing that old top again”. I know they at least make mental notes, because I do with other people. Especially if you have to watch them for two hours.

I have only recently developed a taste for scarves and learned the various ways of wearing them. Today's scarf is a present from an Oriental guest and makes a huge difference against a dark jacket. Wait a minute, I didn't wear a jacket at all today! It's one of my jacketless days when I feel a bit more relaxed and allow myself a jersey instead.

Tonight I am going to a formal dinner, and the invitation says “casual smart”. I have already written two blog posts on this particular dress code, so I won't do it again.

3 comments:

Ulla PE said...

När jag jobbade som gymnasielärare i slutet av 80-talet förde eleverna statistik över färgen på mina strumpor. Även annars var jag känd för att gå i färgglada kläder (gärna Marimekko) i en tid när de flesta andra gick klädda i grått ...

Anonymous said...

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why did you have to use new (not-worn-before) clothes in your old-old country? (I am also a university teacher and try to wear different clothes to the lectures, but mostly so that the students won't think I don't wash my clothes. My biggest problem is to make sure the clothes are 'proper' enough, without holes or unintentionally distracting through 'showing off' breasts or things like that...)

Maria Nikolajeva said...

Ulla: jag kan föreställa mig. Har sett dina färgglada plagg.

Anonymous: in a totalitarian country where getting hold of anything at all was a problem, clothes were a sign of prestige. If I wore the same piece of clothing twice, I was a pauper. Everybody had to show off, otherwise you'd be ostracised. Also, everybody knew how much certain clothes cost at the black market, so you were judged according to how many monthly salaries your boots were worth. I know it sounds bizarre, and it was.