Monday 5 August 2019

Home is where your device picks up internet



Tonight I will sleep in my new place for the first time. My stuff delivery was delayed first until tomorrow, then until Wednesday, but it doesn't make sense to wait. I can sleep on the sofa, and there are plates and cups and knives, and I will start settling in. I had my first coffee and then my first lunch on the balcony.

I went to get groceries which took me a long time. I remember this when we first moved to the UK, and everything was new. You think that milk is milk and cheese is cheese and so on, but everything is different, and some things I remember and some I need to inspect closely. Some things cause nostalgia, and I buy a jar of shrimp cheese spread, just because. I try to figure out the prices and give up: just as well to accept that everything is at least twice the price as compared to the UK.

I buy an electric kettle, the only utensil my landlady said she didn't have, kindly offering to buy one for me. Since I would need it later anyway, I assured her I could invest in a kettle. At least there is something I own. I mark my territory with my new kettle. It feels good.

I have received my first snail mail (written confirmation of my residency). There was a scribbled question mark beside my name on the envelope. I have now put up a piece of paper with my name on it by the letterbox.

Tomorrow I will inspect the laundry room and the garbage station. (I have never lived with a communal laundry before. You need an app to book a slot). In Cambridge, we had three garbage bins. Here there are at least eight. So much to learn.

I now find my way to the underground station without getting lost. There is also a bus stop right in front of my door so I need to investigate where those three buses can take me. (Remember, I have an app for public transportation!)

I have stated briefly that there are various coffee shops and restaurants in the neighbourhood. I have registered a bakery. It will be fun to discover more.

I water the plants. Some of them aren't doing well. I will try to be nice to them. The plants on the balcony also require some attention, and there is room for more. I must go to a garden centre to add some autumn colours to my vertical garden.

I think I will be happy here.


Nostalgic

No comments: