Friday 2 October 2020

Re-reading Margaret Drabble



Similar to Muriel Spark, I had a Margaret Drabble period when I read everything I could get hold of, which wasn’t easy behind the Iron Curtain – it wasn’t just the matter of popping into the nearest book shop. I had The Summer Bird-Cage on my 2020 re-reading list, but it wasn’t available on Kindle, so I chose The Millstone instead although I am not sure I read it back then. I know I read The Garrick Year and Needle’s Eye. Anyway, it doesn’t matter, because The Summer Bird-Cage and The Millstone are thematically similar, and since both are Drabble’s early novels I would guess they are similar in other ways too. And I only have a vague memory of the former.

I can see what was attractive to me in Drabble’s novels then. They are set in a time almost contemporary with mine, in a place I was curious about. They have female characters of a background similar to mine: educated, intellectual, high aspiring women. At the time I read them, I was a single mother, but I never experienced the shaming Rosamund in The Millstone went through. She and I shared some human – female – experience, but otherwise lived on different planets. And I think mine was nicer.

I finished the book because it was part of the challenge, but otherwise I would have stopped early. I guess it wouldn’t be labeled chic lit because it is Great Literature, but then I am not well read in chic lit. I found Rosamund repulsive, which perhaps was intentional, but if so why would the novel be praised as feminist? When she finds herself pregnant after her first and only casual sexual experience – isn’t it one of the most banal plots in literature? - she first tries to get rid of the baby, and failing spectacularly with the totally inefficient method of hard liquor and a hot bath (another literary cliché) decides that she will keep the baby and love it beyond measure. I think the narrator is trying to convey her emotions, but it is mostly external events of a most trivial kind. Which in itself can be interesting as documentation of its time, but I was mainly irritated. The ending is pathetic, but I believe it is exactly a tear-jerker that I would have liked fifty years ago.

I will definitely not re-read any of Drabble’s early novels that I enjoyed then, but I may try one of her latest to see whether she has become more to my current taste.


3 comments:

LINDA PATRICIA said...



I AM MRS. LINDA AND I WANT To TESTIFY ABOUT HOW DR AKHERE HELPED ME IN GETTING BACK MY EX HUSBAND WHO LEFT ME AND MY KIDS FOR ANOTHER WOMAN AND TODAY I AM VERY FULFILLED BECAUSE MY HUSBAND Is BACK To ME AFTER I CONTACTED DR AKHERE TO HELP ME , I'm very happy now with my family it worked for me and I believe it will work for you too just give him a try and follow up this is a clear truth from a testifier. Thank you Dr AKHERE once again, if you want to reach him via email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call / whatsapp: +2349057261346



































I AM MRS. LINDA AND I WANT To TESTIFY ABOUT HOW DR AKHERE HELPED ME IN GETTING BACK MY EX HUSBAND WHO LEFT ME AND MY KIDS FOR ANOTHER WOMAN AND TODAY I AM VERY FULFILLED BECAUSE MY HUSBAND Is BACK To ME AFTER I CONTACTED DR AKHERE TO HELP ME , I'm very happy now with my family it worked for me and I believe it will work for you too just give him a try and follow up this is a clear truth from a testifier. Thank you Dr AKHERE once again, if you want to reach him via email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call / whatsapp: +2349057261346





















































































I AM MRS. LINDA AND I WANT To TESTIFY ABOUT HOW DR AKHERE HELPED ME IN GETTING BACK MY EX HUSBAND WHO LEFT ME AND MY KIDS FOR ANOTHER WOMAN AND TODAY I AM VERY FULFILLED BECAUSE MY HUSBAND Is BACK To ME AFTER I CONTACTED DR AKHERE TO HELP ME , I'm very happy now with my family it worked for me and I believe it will work for you too just give him a try and follow up this is a clear truth from a testifier. Thank you Dr AKHERE once again, if you want to reach him via email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call / whatsapp: +2349057261346



































I AM MRS. LINDA AND I WANT To TESTIFY ABOUT HOW DR AKHERE HELPED ME IN GETTING BACK MY EX HUSBAND WHO LEFT ME AND MY KIDS FOR ANOTHER WOMAN AND TODAY I AM VERY FULFILLED BECAUSE MY HUSBAND Is BACK To ME AFTER I CONTACTED DR AKHERE TO HELP ME , I'm very happy now with my family it worked for me and I believe it will work for you too just give him a try and follow up this is a clear truth from a testifier. Thank you Dr AKHERE once again, if you want to reach him via email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call / whatsapp: +2349057261346

Eric brunt said...

Naghahanap ako ng tulong sa internet upang maibalik ang aking dating asawa pagkatapos na hiwalayan niya ako 5 buwan na ang nakakaraan, napansin ko ang napakaraming mga patotoo mula sa iba't ibang mga tao at lahat sila ay nagsasalita tungkol sa kamangha-manghang taong ito na tinawag na Doctor AKHERE kung paano niya sila tinulungan upang makatipid ang kanilang kasal at mga relasyon at nakipag-ugnay din ako sa kanya sa kanyang email (AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com) at ipinaliwanag sa kanya ang aking problema at gumawa siya ng isang magandang trabaho sa pamamagitan ng pagtulong sa akin na maibalik ang aking diborsyo na asawa sa loob ng 48 na oras .. Hindi ako naniniwala na ganoon ang mga bagay na tulad nito ay maaaring posible ngunit ngayon ako ay isang buhay na patotoo dito sapagkat talagang binalik ng Doctor AKHERE ang aking kasintahan, Kung mayroon kang anumang mga problema sa relasyon bakit hindi makipag-ugnay sa Doctor AKHERE para sa tulong sa pamamagitan ng email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com o tumawag / whatsapp : +2349057261346
Pagkatapos ipinapangako ko sa iyo na pagkatapos ng 48 na oras magkakaroon ka ng mga dahilan upang ipagdiwang tulad ko

immigration problems solve said...

I must confess to you that im really in love with such a great content coming from you and the way you take to enduce your audience I do respect that so much. I will instantly get your lrss and stay informed of any updates you make and as well take the advantage to share some vital information regarding the.How to get a credit card numbers with cvv and zip code alongside a canadian passportbuy-clone-card-clone-card-for-salecounterfeit-money-for-salebuy fake bank statement buy real-bank-statementexpungement criminal record north carolina