Thursday 1 October 2020

Annual report

Typically, annual reports are written at the end of a calendar year. I have done so myself repeatedly in this blog. But today is a year since I retired, and I feel it's a good moment to look back at my long and winding road from there.

I came back to Sweden after eleven years in Cambridge without a permanent home, with unsold property in the UK, not knowing exactly what my financial situation was, and uncertain about reconnecting with my old networks. I wasn't even sure I would feel at home in Sweden. I won't enumerate the various health issues I had, but there were a few.

And yet I was determined not to let any external circumstances interfere with the new phase of my life in which I had decided, well in advance, to be contented, physically and mentally active, to pursue new interests and enjoy the time-left.

I joined a walking club, signed up for Pilates classes, got a subscription for Stockholm Concert Hall, reached out to old friends who were remarkably responsive and nice. I started a small business.

By December, I had a home of my own, the UK property was sold, my financial situation was stable, and in January I was adopted by two charming cats. I was invited to a miniature-making club, attended classes, joined another gym, met more friends, took my grandchildren to theatre. I did 10-12 km walks several times a week – I firmly believe I have walked myself back to sanity.




We all know what happened next. I am ashamed to admit that I wasn't as drastically affected as most other people. Unlike many other countries, Sweden never went into total lockdown, and most restrictions concerned people over 70, but I decided to play it safe and self-isolated. Concerts and theatre shows were cancelled, cinemas were closed. In mid-March I was supposed to participate in a miniature show. My dream holiday, walking Camino de Santiago de Compostella, planned for May, was postponed more or less indefinitely. My Cambridge friends who were supposed to visit in April… and so on.

But I am grateful to be alive and in good health, to have a home and not worry about where my next meal is coming from.

Just before everything closed, I had a garden designer start my balcony garden, and every morning I go out into my tiny garden full of colours and fragrances.



By mid-May, Swedish grandparents were permitted to meet their grandchildren outdoors. I am blessed with grandchildren who happily came over for walks and picnics.

By mid-June, I started cautiously to use public transport to go and visit friends and family. I also decided it was safe to let friends with cars take me for walks and swims. It would have been practical right now to have a car, but on the other hand I decided a year ago that I would never drive a car again. I became friends with a neighbour, and we have made many pleasurable excursions together.




Summer is a quiet time in Sweden as most people go away to their summer cottages. By now, they are back, and it feels safe to start meeting again. Cinemas have reopened, and I have already been once. There were just seven people in there.

I am not sure about gyms; I am not sure about how the Concert Hall is going to organise the concerts, but I have renewed my subscription, and I have already attended a concert with fifty people in the audience, which was weird, especially when it came to clapping. Fifty people clapping in a large hall is a strange experience. Otherwise, there are streamed concerts almost every day.

My walking club has resumed the walks twice a week, and although I have enjoyed walking on my own, the sense of community is great after a long forced break. I have even signed up to become a leader! 



Similarly, the miniature club is meeting regularly. All miniature shows are cancelled until further notice, but there are some online activities.




I have organised walking seminars of my own, built around some famous children’s books set in Stockholm. To my surprise and joy they proved to be popular. All were booked up within hours of announcements, and there are long waiting lists. In this way, I combine my passion for walking with my professional qualifications. And I am leaning a lot about my home city.



The current situation is not going away any time soon, so everybody will have to adjust. It is weird that the first year of the new phase of my life coincided with such a major global change.




2 comments:

LINDA PATRICIA said...



I AM MRS. LINDA AND I WANT To TESTIFY ABOUT HOW DR AKHERE HELPED ME IN GETTING BACK MY EX HUSBAND WHO LEFT ME AND MY KIDS FOR ANOTHER WOMAN AND TODAY I AM VERY FULFILLED BECAUSE MY HUSBAND Is BACK To ME AFTER I CONTACTED DR AKHERE TO HELP ME , I'm very happy now with my family it worked for me and I believe it will work for you too just give him a try and follow up this is a clear truth from a testifier. Thank you Dr AKHERE once again, if you want to reach him via email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call / whatsapp: +2349057261346



































I AM MRS. LINDA AND I WANT To TESTIFY ABOUT HOW DR AKHERE HELPED ME IN GETTING BACK MY EX HUSBAND WHO LEFT ME AND MY KIDS FOR ANOTHER WOMAN AND TODAY I AM VERY FULFILLED BECAUSE MY HUSBAND Is BACK To ME AFTER I CONTACTED DR AKHERE TO HELP ME , I'm very happy now with my family it worked for me and I believe it will work for you too just give him a try and follow up this is a clear truth from a testifier. Thank you Dr AKHERE once again, if you want to reach him via email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call / whatsapp: +2349057261346





















































































I AM MRS. LINDA AND I WANT To TESTIFY ABOUT HOW DR AKHERE HELPED ME IN GETTING BACK MY EX HUSBAND WHO LEFT ME AND MY KIDS FOR ANOTHER WOMAN AND TODAY I AM VERY FULFILLED BECAUSE MY HUSBAND Is BACK To ME AFTER I CONTACTED DR AKHERE TO HELP ME , I'm very happy now with my family it worked for me and I believe it will work for you too just give him a try and follow up this is a clear truth from a testifier. Thank you Dr AKHERE once again, if you want to reach him via email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call / whatsapp: +2349057261346



































I AM MRS. LINDA AND I WANT To TESTIFY ABOUT HOW DR AKHERE HELPED ME IN GETTING BACK MY EX HUSBAND WHO LEFT ME AND MY KIDS FOR ANOTHER WOMAN AND TODAY I AM VERY FULFILLED BECAUSE MY HUSBAND Is BACK To ME AFTER I CONTACTED DR AKHERE TO HELP ME , I'm very happy now with my family it worked for me and I believe it will work for you too just give him a try and follow up this is a clear truth from a testifier. Thank you Dr AKHERE once again, if you want to reach him via email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call / whatsapp: +2349057261346

Eric brunt said...

Naghahanap ako ng tulong sa internet upang maibalik ang aking dating asawa pagkatapos na hiwalayan niya ako 5 buwan na ang nakakaraan, napansin ko ang napakaraming mga patotoo mula sa iba't ibang mga tao at lahat sila ay nagsasalita tungkol sa kamangha-manghang taong ito na tinawag na Doctor AKHERE kung paano niya sila tinulungan upang makatipid ang kanilang kasal at mga relasyon at nakipag-ugnay din ako sa kanya sa kanyang email (AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com) at ipinaliwanag sa kanya ang aking problema at gumawa siya ng isang magandang trabaho sa pamamagitan ng pagtulong sa akin na maibalik ang aking diborsyo na asawa sa loob ng 48 na oras .. Hindi ako naniniwala na ganoon ang mga bagay na tulad nito ay maaaring posible ngunit ngayon ako ay isang buhay na patotoo dito sapagkat talagang binalik ng Doctor AKHERE ang aking kasintahan, Kung mayroon kang anumang mga problema sa relasyon bakit hindi makipag-ugnay sa Doctor AKHERE para sa tulong sa pamamagitan ng email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com o tumawag / whatsapp : +2349057261346
Pagkatapos ipinapangako ko sa iyo na pagkatapos ng 48 na oras magkakaroon ka ng mga dahilan upang ipagdiwang tulad ko