Wednesday 6 May 2020

Mock Camino, Day 2




Today real walking started. We walked 22 km along the coast from San Sebastian to Zarautz, with a total climb of 550 m, enjoying scenery of exceptional beauty. You can watch this video to get some sense of the place.

In practical terms, I planned a walk in my nature reserve that I know well by know, and I estimated it would be roughly 22 km. I was right, 21,68. Of course, my climb wasn't quite the same, only 323 meters, but I didn't take any extra climbs. The walk took me seven hours, with a half-hour lunch break and two short breaks. I had more stuff to carry than usual: more provisions, water and extra gear, such as waterproof trousers, having the recent hailstorm in mind. They say Camino del Norte is less crowded than the main route, and I didn't meet more than a handful of people on my walk. Did I get tired? You bet! Runkeeper says it was my longest walk since I started using the app. On a longer walk you come to a point, for me after about 15 km, when you stop noticing anything around you and just keep putting one foot in front of the other. At 17 km, knowing how much I still had to cover, I sat down by the lake, took off my boots and sank my feet into cold water. It was bliss, and after this I suddenly had more energy. Right now my whole body aches, in a pleasant way.

Yesterday evening, I re-watched The Way, to get into the mood. A question that goes through the whole story, that the characters ask each other, and that the Camino managers ask them at the end: Why are you doing this? Why did I want to walk the Camino? I have no faith, I don't believe in miracles. I have done three longish walks before: Norfolk Coast Path, Hadrian's Wall and the Orkney Islands. Why? Just because I could. Because, as the saying goes, they were there. Did I find whatever I was seeking on those walks? Possibly. I had good company, the scenery was stunning, and walking gives me a peace of mind like nothing else. I enjoy a good chat after a long day, but I don't want to talk while walking (and listening to music would be sacrilege). I want to be in that place, that space, engaging all my senses in the experience. I appreciate beautiful scenery, even though it isn't essential. But Camino was supposed to be exceptional.

I hadn't planned any travel this year because I wanted some quiet time after the recent turbulent period of my life, with retirement, move to Sweden, and more. But when my walking society offered a walking holiday on Camino del Norte, I signed up at once (first making sure I had cat-sitting covered). Like with the Orkneys last year, I was a bit anxious about being fit, so I have been walking a lot in my nature reserve. I have walked 500 km since January.

It was of course disappointing that the trip was cancelled, but hopefully it will still happen next year. But why, you may ask, am I pretence-walking now? What am I getting out of it? I kept asking myself this question today, and I don't have the answer. Maybe again, just because I can? Walking keeps me in good physical and mental shape, and staying healthy and fit is right now my highest priority and a full-time occupation. I am fortunate to have this nature reserve on my doorstep.

Anyway, I am extremely proud of myself for completing today's walk because now I know I can do it, even though the climb will be twice as high. But the scenery will be my reward.


1 comment:

Eric brunt said...

Naghahanap ako ng tulong sa internet upang maibalik ang aking dating asawa pagkatapos na hiwalayan niya ako 5 buwan na ang nakakaraan, napansin ko ang napakaraming mga patotoo mula sa iba't ibang mga tao at lahat sila ay nagsasalita tungkol sa kamangha-manghang taong ito na tinawag na Doctor AKHERE kung paano niya sila tinulungan upang makatipid ang kanilang kasal at mga relasyon at nakipag-ugnay din ako sa kanya sa kanyang email (AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com) at ipinaliwanag sa kanya ang aking problema at gumawa siya ng isang magandang trabaho sa pamamagitan ng pagtulong sa akin na maibalik ang aking diborsyo na asawa sa loob ng 48 na oras .. Hindi ako naniniwala na ganoon ang mga bagay na tulad nito ay maaaring posible ngunit ngayon ako ay isang buhay na patotoo dito sapagkat talagang binalik ng Doctor AKHERE ang aking kasintahan, Kung mayroon kang anumang mga problema sa relasyon bakit hindi makipag-ugnay sa Doctor AKHERE para sa tulong sa pamamagitan ng email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com o tumawag / whatsapp : +2349057261346
Pagkatapos ipinapangako ko sa iyo na pagkatapos ng 48 na oras magkakaroon ka ng mga dahilan upang ipagdiwang tulad ko