Wednesday 2 July 2008

Home staging, cont'd

Believe me or not, but I actually enjoy cleaning. I don’t like everyday cleaning because it is not particularly creative, but a huge cleaning, preferably in the basement, when you throw away tons of garbage accumulated for years and years, when the floor suddenly emerges from under layers of dirt, when cobwebs disappear, and when you can look at your deed afterwards with great satisfaction. I like making ugly things pretty. For the same reason I enjoy ironing, which most people dislike, because you see how crumpled textile becomes smooth and nice. And if you concentrate on cleaning or ironing and not on the essay that needs urgent revision it is really relaxing.

Still when the time comes there are loose objects lying around, and like you always do when you expect guests and panic-clean, I pour those in drawers and close them quickly, even though I know that this time I will still have to take care of them. Later, is the usual tune. There will be no later.

During the show we sit in the drawing room and look like wax figures at Madame Tussauds.

No comments: